Kavanaugh. Had enough? The topics will go on. Why we do not report? Look at the background.
I. Entitlements. Open a dialogue, in retrospect, where teen and young adult choices were made. and there was no report, or report late made when some safety was offered. Does entitlement affect delay.
Q. Just how entitled am I? Asks the wealthy student, surrounded by the trappings of his class. What can I get away with, how far can I go to use others without negative consequence to me, the great Me.
A. Very entitled. Try us. Go ahead. Try out the forms as you grow. We will protect. The cause is good: You will learn that you can control. The others will learn their subservience.
II. Kavanaugh. Follow the concepts.
How is secrecy self-imposed. From that class protectionism, buttressed by the financial and cultural resources to see all intrusions into power are minimized, kept private, comes Omerta, the rat, the shunning. No wonder so few report, and often well after the event(s). Alternative? Minimize what the entitled are entitled to get: Andrew Carnegie and his Gospel of Wealth. See below.
A. Omerta of the wealthy. Omerta'. From the Italian. This began as a concept of humility, submitting to the interests of the group, see https://www.etymonline.com/word/omerta. It became a watchword for protecting criminal interests, see http://www.memidex.com/omerta
B. You better not squeal. To squeal, to inform on someone else, was an old Norse word, skvala sound-alike, from the 1300's, sounds like squall, that emerged in about 1865 with the new meaning, see https://www.etymonline.com/word/squeal -- to rat somebody out.
To squeal. Perhaps to rat. What dreams may come?
C. You dirty rat. No, it wasn't that. It was, "You yellow-bellied rat," Go back to Cagney in 1932. Either way, who, who will risk that label, defining them ever after, if they want a future.
So, scurry, all who know a truth, or believe you do. Say nothing. Hide back in the walls, the cone where silence rules and protects.
To rat: not just the rodent, but also what the rodent does in adverse circumstances: the rat abandons the leaky ship, which leads to leaving one's fellows in the lurch, the self-saving traitor. See all this at https://www.etymonline.com/word/rat
D. The Shunning. Life-altering. See https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-time-cure/201302/shunning-the-ultimate-rejection.
What happens to the teen or others not yet fully formed (anyone, really) who breaks omerta, even thinking it a jest to call the police when a drinking party is going on among elites? Ask one. Is there a shunning, a heart breaking, a taint imposed, denial of all social normalcy to the one who broke the code. Apparently so, and we disrsegard it at our own peril in assessing context, see https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/beyond-bullying/201309/the-silence-shunning-conversation-kipling-william
- Kava-gnawing. Kavanaughing. Chew on the facts some more. What is known, uncorroborated, does absence of corroboration mean absence of act? and what if lack of corroboration was part of the plan. A hundred others later working with this fine person, who never saw an errant act. Is that enough? Are the rest of us dark and light at once, and not this one?
- Yet we expect women who have been abused, humiliated and devalued particularly in front of others, but more often where there are no witnesses at all, to come out and report, and to whom?
- Report to the ones who support the purpose of the abuse, whose interest is in seeing it set aside as an anomaly, not worth following up?
- Purpose emerges: To control an identifiable group by race or gender or other stigmata, that, if given opportunity, could challenge the rulers on merit.
Examine punishment. None for the perpetrator at the time, unless another breaks the code of silence, cone of silence over years; even then, the tarring of the rat begins, not the punishment, deterrence, of the actor. Boys will be boys?
IV. Alternatives, if entitlement entrenchment is the basic issue. I think it is.
2. Pipedream. Originally, a context with opium.
3.. Is it a mere pipedream to be able to cage the trappings of entitlement, counter the heavy foot of birth, by fostering opportunity and merit in all people.
- Alternative to entitlement: Andrew Carnegie's idea. Reduce the inheritance.
- Idea: No income taxes, but any property still in the name or control of the named owner at his death, even if that person is incapacitated, shall escheat to the state. No transfers upon death; death is too late. Give it away while you can. His approach was to give just enough to his heirs, but the rest went to philanthropy.
- His heirs have managed with their private lives.https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2014/07/08/whats-become-of-them-the-carnegie-family/#5a31b5847b55
- Carnegie, though, could have given far more away to his heirs than he did, to satisfy their need for status; and that is one resolution to his bare-bones approach. Just give it away to them while you can.
- The other mogul-heirs, not Carnegies, were not faced with the need to be self-sufficient, and still rule the roost. Is that a good idea?
- Can the entitled take it? The patriarchy that has entitled itself by its translations and teachings that self-serve, No. Still, try.