Ask -- What are its pitfalls for conflicts of interest, now that we have us a President: emoluments, etc. It gets little attention in that regard. Could he use it as outlined? How to prepare, respond. Moscow in the photo, see text below, relates only to an unexplored business opportunity for Mr. Trump there, related to his ownership of Mar-a-Lago. Combining presidential residence with commercial club-resort offers multiple opportunities for just happening to bump up with persons otherwise required to sign in, please.
Meanwhile, enjoy the history. Visionary: Marjorie Merriwether Post.
Background. History. The location is the name: Mar-a-Lago, from sea to lake, from the Atlantic Ocean to the IntraCoastal Waterway. See map. Read its 2016 social history. And wonder at and admire the philanthropy, dignity, of its originator, Marjorie Merriwether Post.
- What does the graceful ghost of Ms. Post think, as she returns to see her bequest, its reversion, and its new incarnation as over-gilded money-maker attracting wannabes? Is that accurate? President Trump makes 15.6 million dollars a year from it, see http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/inside-mar-a-lago-trumps-palm-beach-castle-and-his-30-year-fight-to-win/2254128,
- To join the club? Fees doubled after the Trump election from $100,000 per year to $200,000, see http://www.businessinsider.com/mar-a-lago-doubles-membership-fee-to-200000-2017-1). .
1. Did he "save" it by buying it? Hardly. He kept up bricks and mortar; but to "save" it would be to preserve it for its intended government private use. Trump does plans to use a wing as a southern White house, as he also intends to continue using his NYC residence and the DC White House, but the point is not that partial use.
Instead of preserving, which is an integral part of "saving" (and he had absolutely no obligation to preserve anything). he had the choice and people's choices define them. No philanthropist, he has transformed it into a lucrative commercial venture. He converted it for his own aggrandizement, but did not "save" it. Just use the wording that conveys the reality, is all.
- Mar-a-Lago was at the time and still is on the National Register of Historic Places, see http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/fl/palm+beach/state.html?)
- That listing, however, imposes no limitation or obligation on owners. It is an ego-boost: see my wonderful plaque. All that's legal is not admirable. Do those in the know who like these places prefer The Breakers?
So, no, he did not "save" it. Instead, he worsened it in terms of its original use. Anybody care? Not as long as the money flows and all the soft little hands outstretched get refilled, and refilled. The DeVos rule, to add to the Greene 48.
2. Emoluments? All so far is legal? money-making?. Who cares? People in this country value money first. That's what they do. Nonetheless, inquiry is appropriate. Is there a tangle of emoluments here? Should parameters be set? Somebody explore.
3. Now: secret proposal to Mr. T. Preparation for four more years; How about yet another, and hereby patented, business opportunity. Can I do that? Either way, Mr. Trump, if and when you all do this, think of me. In case I haz any rightz here, do whatz right. Not just what is legal.
3.1 Secret business opportunity: Mr. Trump has an "in" with Russia in ways yet unexplored. The Russian Art Collection. See http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/russian-collection. Said there to be the most comprehensive Russian collection outside Russia. If you like Catherine the Great, do you like the Orlov service? see http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/collection/search?f_p=38
- Mar-a-Lago is the brainchild-dream of Marjorie Merriwether Post, who accrued a vast Russian art collection, in the Stalin years, now at her museum-home at Hillwood, outside Washington DC.
- Mr. Trump has a business opportunity here: Sell an arts and access package. Did you know your predecessor had such an art collection? Now you do.
- Have people stay at the Trump hotel in DC,
- \Whiz them (helicopter would be nice. Does the hotel have a pad?) over for a private showing and glitz meal with the butlers and butlesses at the Hillwood Museum, and see the Russian art (all apparently with provenance aceptable)/
- To see the art, scroll down at http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/about-hillwood/marjorie-merriweather-post/family. Then
- Fly on the Trumpjet, with the requisite lubrication to stay at the southern estate of Marjorie Merriwether Post in Palm Beach.
- Nice swag bags by Ivanka of things like the Met Museum of NY sells, T shirts, gewgaws.
- Network. Sell access by letting people know when the Trumps will be there, in case there is an access opportunity, let foreign dignitaries know in case a Putin vacation may match up, because he may want the art back, see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-hotel-mar-a-lago-president-elect-new-years-eve-party-selling-access-a7505226.html
- Advertising space: Here, the Moscow subway
Mar-a-Lago business opportunity. Tie in Russian Art Collection of Marjorie Merriwether Post at Hillwood with a stay at the Trump place in DC, then flap down to Palm Beach, Russia, and see where the Collection's originator lived.
- Just happen to have Russian President Putin staying at the club at the same time, with entourage, and prepared to hobnob with the wannabes. Treaties in process can be kept in another room. Mr. Putin could respond to recent books, see https://zfreeebookdownloadspdfz.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/putin-s-kleptocracy-who-owns-russia-unabridged-audible/
4. Credit roll.
No-one has to give credit where credit is due, see that at Law 7 and other admonitions in Robert Greene's Rules of Power. Noone legally has to honor a predecessor whose vision and love of place made it possible for another to leapfrog into higher status, even if not acceptance by those who came before, see http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/inside-mar-a-lago-trumps-palm-beach-castle-and-his-30-year-fight-to-win/2254128. This is not a required "attribution" of source, no plagiarism of real estate. Would a truly great person extend credits instead of simply self-promote? This is the Post estate, not the Trump's in vision.
5. Timeline excerpts
1920 -- Marriage of Marjorie Merriwether Post, who inherited the fortune accrued by her parents in Post cereals, evolve to General Mills I think; and E. F. Hutton, founder of the Wall Street stock firm -- when it talks, people listen, etc.
In all, she was married four times, just go to Wiki, issues not relevant here. E. F. Hutton: later fell on hard times, now working to get up off the mat again, see http://riabiz.com/a/2015/3/26/why-ef-huttons-rebooters-took-the-arse-backward-tack-of-selling-public-shares-and-buying-a-brand-before-developing-a-product
1923 -- Birth of daughter of Marjorie Merriwether Post and E. F. Hutton, Dina Merrill: actress, philanthropist, businesswoman, socialite. See site for biography, husbands and their resources. I see no obituary, do a search for other life details not relevant here. She dealt with Mar-a-Lago and other issues upon the death of her mother.
- A moderate Republican.
- Surely she could be remembered at Mar-a-Lago. Which bedroom was hers?
- Dina Merrill grew into many roles, including that of a moderate in Republican circles, and advocate for issues in women's health, supporting the Republican Pro-Choice Coalition, see Pro Choice Republicans Condemn Platform (opposing abortion, campaign era of George W. Bush 1996) http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=123139&page=1.
1924-1927 -- Heiress and socialite, bright person and visionary, this Marjorie Merriwether Post found the site for and had built this magnificent ocean-front estate, some 128 acres at the time? at Palm Beach, Florida. See http://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/home-decor/a7144/mar-a-lago-history/ It has 128 rooms.
1930's -- Acquisition of Russia Art Collection, see Hillwood at Washington DC, above. Explore. There are 384 pages like this one, see http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/collection/search?filter=Place%20made:Russia. For a less formal look, see https://www2.gmu.edu/news/258
1973 -- Death of Marjorie Merriwether Post. By will, she left the property to the United States Government (now the untied states government), see Palm Beach Post, for use as a retreat, like a winter White House, for presidents. See http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/inside-mar-a-lago-trumps-palm-beach-castle-and-his-30-year-fight-to-win/2254128 None used the property. Maintenance costs were about a million dollars a year.
1985 -- Trump and wife Ivana bought the property. Purchase price: Ten million. See http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/national-govt--politics/look-inside-mar-lago-donald-trump-palm-beach-estate/sCIe7q5aA1RVPLmfXXLfCO/.
This site says five million. See http://www.newsmax.com/RonaldKessler/donald-trump-mar-a/2011/01/20/id/383396/
And from then on, it was fight, fight. See http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/inside-mar-a-lago-trumps-palm-beach-castle-and-his-30-year-fight-to-win/2254128